The Process!


Hey guys god have I been busy  over the past couple of days, this mission is really taking up a lot of my time but in a good way.

We have finished recording the interview ( read previous post if your lost) and it went great just as planned. I am really enjoying getting to know my fellow students Lesley and Kevin this mission has really enabled us to open up and work well together and begin to form what I think could be great friendships.

However not everything has been smooth sailing as expected, I mean nothing is perfect. I volunteered myself to do the editing of the interview as last year I attended a PLC course in creative digital media in  Dunboyne Collage. One of my favorite subjects I studied was 'Radio'. In this subject I got to learn about the world of audio and particularly radio. This subject really interested me and I excelled in the subject as a result of that.

This is what initially drew me to doing this audio topic as my first mission. Last year in my radio subject I had the privilege of doing a year long assignment on creating a podcast. This was in a group of four and we had one hour to record and 5 weeks to edit. Our podcast was called "lets talk" and was focused around mental health and confidence. We also had the privilege to full access to a recording studio and editing soft wear. The software we used to edit was called 'Reaper', I by the end of the project really enjoyed the editing side and found Reaper really interesting, because of this I thought I would try editing our interview on the same software.

However last year I recorded my podcast on proper recording devices and transferred the audio from the recording equipment on a hard drive and that's how I was able to edit the podcast. Our interview however was very different we recorded our Interview on a iPhone using an app called voice memos. This was of course because we didn't have access to proper recording devices. This proved difficult when it came to the actual editing, Luckily last year I bought the software Reaper so I had it on my laptop at home.

However when I went to take the emailed file of the recording and edit it in Reaper I couldn't get the file to download on the software because it was recorded through an iPhone. This was the first real difficulty I encountered as I realised  I wouldn't be able to edit the recording in reaper. Through the use of our group chat created for scenarios like this I told Lesley and Kevin my struggles and we agreed  to meet the following morning and try work out the problem together.

After much efforts we realised we wouldn't be able to do use reaper to edit and this was a bit of a disappointment as I was looking forward to showing of the skills I learned last year and use them for my first mission. However I do understand this is down to a lack of knowledge and understand that in time I will learn the in and outs of editing and transferring clips.

As a collected group and through team work we decided that the easiest way to edit was through 'Movie Maker' this was a big relief as although there was very little editing that needed to be done our brief was to produce an edited interview. So thankfully to Kevin's idea of using Movie Maker we were able to edit our interview.

The last step is evaluating our project and our presentation. I will be back to document how it goes.

In my next blog post I will link my previous podcast recorded last year if any of you would like to listen, We were actually entered in to a compotation as it was such a success.

Hope you all are enjoying me documenting this journey and I hope you can benefit from it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Comments

Popular Posts